If you are interested in learning more about Thyroid Conditions OR Red Tail Wellness Centers’ Functional Medicine approach: I encourage you to come to our next Functional Medicine Seminar. There is no cost nor obligation AND attendees will be invited to enjoy exclusive, new patient pricing (Bio-Impedance Analysis, Metabolic Exam, Case Review, AND Care Recommendations for only $175 – regularly priced at $475). What you learn will open your eyes and mind to a bright and healthy future. Limited seating, call to reserve your seat today 303.882.8447 OR register online through the form below!
10 Ways to Detox your thyroid and WHY it even matters:
Your thyroid gland resides right under your Adam’s (or Eve’s) apple. It is responsible for numerous biochemical reactions that allow for optimal health. Every single cell in your body has receptors for thyroid hormones. If there is interference with the receptors from internal or external factors, it can wreak havoc on your energy, digestion, sleep, mood and the regeneration of hair, skin, and nails. You may be aware that 95% of the time a thyroid disorder is autoimmune in nature. Meaning, your immune system has become confused and not able to differentiate your own good cells versus foreign cells. As a result, your immune system begins to attack the thyroid with white blood cells, and with time, this destroys thyroid tissue and causes your thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) to elevate. This process turns into Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism when your TSH moves above the reference range and you have either, or both thyroid peroxidase antibody or anti-thyroglobulin antibody elevated (positive).
To develop an autoimmune disorder you must have three components present. 1)Genetic risk factors 2) Triggers like infections or foods (or both) and 3)Environment factors. When these three areas have the perfect imbalance, the disease process begins. While we cannot necessarily change our genes, we can change our genetic expression to a point through lifestyle changes to our diet and environment. Let’s take a closer look at the top ten environmental issues that must be addressed if you want to get your thyroid condition under control!
1) Plastics – BPA, BPS (BPA free) all contain plastics that have been recently shown to cross contaminate with thyroid tissue inducing autoimmune disease. Unfortunately, it’s not just thyroid disease that’s affected by plastics. More research is pouring out connecting plastics to neurological disease, hormone imbalance with estrogen receptors, heart and kidney problems as well. Effects are magnified with cheaper, thinner plastics that are exposed to acids or heat. And this goes for all plastics from water bottles and food containers to dental fillings; so watch out what you use for cooking and drinking!!
2) Mercury – This is a hidden culprit in many areas in and around our bodies. Mercury makes our vaccines more potent because it stimulates the immune system! Mercury was used in dental fillings and is used in our energy efficient light bulbs. Mercury is also used to clean coal refineries and in manufacturing paper. Of course, this metal finds its way into our ecosystem where animals may ingest it and then as we ingest them causing our mercury levels elevate. When this happens, our body may break down. Research shows that women with higher mercury levels were twice as likely to develop thyroglobulin antibodies! Avoiding or removing mercury sources may be your best bet to reducing your burden. (But, don’t immediately get your filling removed, more on this later)
3) Benzene Rings – These compounds are commonly found in diesel and gas additives as well as on charred meats. You may have also heard of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which are a synonym and were brought to light in past research as a culprit in cancer formation. These chemicals are known to increase an autoimmune cytokine called Th17. Th17 causes your body to suppress its ability to regulate its own cells. Anyone who works in an industry with these chemicals eats a lot of barbeque/charred meat, or driving for their job is more than likely getting a higher exposure.
4) Mold – This may be one of the most ubiquitous toxin exposures. An estimated 25% of the US population has a genetic predisposition to mold sickness syndrome (another trigger to autoimmune disease). Symptoms can range from brain fog, arthritis, immune suppression, depression and fatigue, and digestion issues, or it may manifest in the more classic form as sneezing, coughing, asthma and runny nose. Some family members may suffer tremendously and others may not, only creating more confusion for people trying to sort their symptoms out. One important question to ask yourself is did your symptoms start after you moved into a home? Have you ruled this component out? I typically recommend a company called Immunolytics that specializes in mold plates. This simple and effective method is designed to test for species and quantity and can help you also determine if your mitigation efforts were effective!
5) Tetrachloroethylene (dry cleaning) – I personally love getting my dry cleaning back because it’s almost like I got new clothes. Tetrachloroethylene is found in typical dry cleaning locations and has been dubbed an “endocrine disrupter”, meaning that it creates a negative systemic impact on multiple body systems simultaneously. These chemicals, similarly to plastics, can mimic hormones and alter how your body responds to feedback from the hormones in your blood stream. Supporting a “green” dry cleaner is best because they do not use these chemicals. If you have to use a standard dry cleaning service, be sure to air out dry-cleaned clothing before wear.
6) Formaldehyde/Glutaraldehyde – These preservatives are used commonly in the furniture and building industry. Glutaraldehyde is commonly used as a disinfectant and sterilizing agent in hospitals (another reason why hospitals toxic!). Formaldehyde can be found in manufactured wood products, glues, vaccines, cleaning products, and even personal care products. Formaldehyde is linked not only to thyroid health but cancers and other chronic illnesses. Avoiding products with formaldehpreferableerrable. Airing out a new car, furniture, or rug can help decrease exposure.
7) Parabens/Pthalates – Personal care products like lotions, shampoos, conditioners, and makeup typically contain this chemical. Parabens and Pthalates have been clearly shown to be an endocrine disrupting agent and one fascinating study showed that in utero exposure created behavioral disruptions similar to ADHD. Choose your personal hygiene products wisely and if you ever see the word “fragrance/parfume” on any containers it’s almost guaranteed to have these chemicals.
8) Chlorine & Fluoride – Fluoride was used prior to the 1960’s to treat hyperthyroid disease and multiple research studies link this and another halogen, Chlorine, as a likely endocrine disruptor. As well, multiple studies show higher fluoride levels appear to be correlated to lower IQ in children. The most common exposure is from our water supply, canned foods and dental procedures or treatments. If you can, use a whole house Reverse Osmossis system or put a filter on your shower that can catch chlorine. Shower water is a little know significant source chemical exposure for your entire body! A shower filter will be worth investment!
9) Tetrabromobisphenol A – Flame-retardants, which are particularly used in mattresses, carpets, furniture, and other building materials are well known to disrupt the endocrine system. The US is unique in that we appear to be fixated on spraying these toxic chemicals at a dramatically higher rate than any other country in the world. To avoid them try to choose a bromine-free mattress or a safe bet is anything made with natural flame-resistant materials such as wool.
10) Glyphosphate (RoundUp) & Company – This topic could be a whole article on how potent and inflammatory glyphosphate is to our body. In 2015 glyphosphate was labeled by the World Health Organization as a probable carcinogen. Monsanto claims this salt is 100% safe yet multiple peer reviewed research articles call that assumption into question. What is clear is that this pesticide kills soil bacteria necessary for healthy food and healthy humans. It is correlated to multiple different chronic conditions the we suffers from. To have the best thyroid and overall health possible, I strongly recommend my patients eat organic and support sustainable farming practices, not GMO giants that produce pesticides.
Thyroid disease is complicated and partly this is due to the lack of oversight and willingness of our government to allow chemicals into our ecosystem. To date, over 80,000 chemicals have been approved and we approve approximately 1,700 new chemicals per year without any shred of evidence that they are safe. Did you know that each compound is made of a number of ingredients and each tested individually – not together as they are found in the compound? We truly have to be informed and take our health into our own hands if we want to break out of our health rut! Become familiar with where your exposures are coming from. By working diligently to remove exposures to toxins that deteriorate your health, your body will be given new clean ground to stand on to let your health soar!
Isn’t it time that you take control of your health rather than letting a Thyroid condition take control of you? If you are ready to regain your health, I encourage you to come to our next Functional Medicine Seminar. There is no cost nor obligation AND attendees will be invited to enjoy exclusive, new patient pricing (Bio-Impedance Analysis, Metabolic Exam, Case Review, AND Care Recommendations for only $175 – regularly priced at $475). What you learn will open your eyes and mind to a bright and healthy future. Limited seating, call to reserve your seat today 303.882.8447 OR register online through the form below!
We look forward to letting your health soar!